By 12 months of age your toddler should be eating similar meals to the rest of the family.
- Make sure all meals and snacks are healthy.
- Avoid salt and large amounts of sugar in all meals.
- Gradually introduce full fat milk as the main drink offered after a meal.
- Encourage your toddler to use a cup with a lid (sippie cup).
- Make mealtimes enjoyable and unhurried. Try and eat with your baby as a family and set a good example with what the whole family eats.
- Children learn eating habits at a very early age and are great imitators.
- Keep your baby safe by keeping hot food, drinks and soups out of reach to avoid nasty accidents.
- Encourage your baby to feed itself, with a spoon or their hands, this encourages a love of food and eating, even though it’s messy!
- Avoid giving your toddler too much to drink before and during mealtimes.