At the age of 2 years or more, your child should be eating a well balanced diet of 3 meals a day with snacks, and also learning to enjoy meals at the table with the rest of the family.
Plan regular meal and snack times to develop healthy eating habits.
- Water and milk are the best drinks for this age group, fruit juice, cordial and fizzy drinks should be avoided.
- Healthy meals and snacks are important, avoiding food that is high in salt and sugar.
- This is an age when parents often become concerned about their child’s eating habits
- Always have a variety of healthy foods on hand to offer your child.
- Offer small portions and allow them to stop eating when they are full.
- Limit distractions by turning off the TV and games.
- Limit too many liquids including juice and milk as they can lead to poor eating at mealtimes.
- Use non-food rewards e.g. stickers, kisses and jokes.