There are several ways to sterilise bottles and feeding equipment:
- Wash bottles and feeding equipment first in warm soapy water, rinse with hot water and air dry, or alternatively dry with a clean paper towel.
- Sterilise bottles and feeding equipment with one of the following methods:
- Boil in pot of water for 10 minutes – choose a saucepan that allows all equipment to be fully submerged. Remove saucepan from heat and cool. Remove items with clean hands and dry and store in a clean place.
- Use a Steam Steriliser, Electric or Microwave – place equipment in the steriliser making sure all equipment is dry with no residue water. Use the steriliser according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Remove all items with clean hands and store in a dry clean place.
- Chemical Sterilisation formula – Available in tablet or liquid formula. Prepare the solution in a clean container, follow the instructions on the product i.e. the correct amount of chemical solution mixed with the correct amount of water. Fully immerse all equipment in the sterilising solution, making sure there are no air bubbles in teats. Leave equipment in solution for the required amount of time. Remove with clean hands and drain well on a clean dry surface. Clean the sterilizing container and renew the solution every 24 hours.